RECIPE | CAPRESE SANDWICH
I love basil. I love tomatoes. I love mozzarella cheese. I could have it in a salad, with pasta or bread. Inspired by my trip to France, this sandwich served as our lunch break when we bicycled through Epernay, France (also known as champagne country). We ate it as we overlooked this breath taking view of the French vineyards. Let's just say France was an unforgettable trip. This sandwich is so easy, quick to make and perfect if you're looking for a light lunch or snack. Great for vegetarians too.
I hope you guys enjoy this recipe! If you make it, please take a picture of it and tag @christieathome on Instagram and it may be featured. If you're not on Instagram, please share it with your family and friends.
Disclaimer: I am not sponsored by any companies listed in this post.
CAPRESE SANDWICH RECIPE
SERVES 4 (6 INCH SANDWICH PER PERSON) | PREP TIME 15 MINS | COOK TIME 0 MINS!
- 4 Vine Tomatoes (Ripened and sweet to taste)
- 2 balls of fresh Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 bunch of Basil Leaves
- 8 tablespoons of Basil Pesto
- 1 Ciabatta Baguette enough to serve 4 x 6 inch sandwiches
- 8 leaves of Romaine Lettuce
- Salt & Pepper for seasoning
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- With a wet sharp knife, cut mozzarella cheese into slices at 1-2 cm thick
- Slice tomatoes at 1-2 cm thick
- Cut your long baguette into 4 portions at approximately 6 inches in length and create an opening for your sandwich components
- Wash & dry your lettuce and basil leaves
- Season tomato slices with salt and pepper
- Now time to assemble your sandwich!
- Spread 1 tablespoon of pesto to each side of the bun
- Line each side of the bun with a lettuce leaf
- On the base of the bun, line with seasoned tomatoes over your lettuce, then add cheese slices and top off with basil leaves.
- Lightly drizzle extra virgin olive oil over the basil, cheese and tomatoes before closing your sandwich