45 MIN. BAKED CHIMICHANGA RECIPE (VEGAN)
Hope you’re all doing well! Who here doesn’t like beans? I’ll be honest, I used to HATE them. Hate them. If there’s one thing my mouth could not eat in the past, it would be mushy grainy textured foods like beans and peas (still have trouble with this one). Give me everything else, except for liver (my dad would make us eat this), and I’m fine! When I started to eat more plant-based foods, I decided I needed to get over my distaste for beans and just try incorporating them slowly. The key to eating beans if you’re a bean-hater is FLAVOUR and lots of it. So the first way I started to eat beans was pureed and in tacos or wraps flavoured with every Mexican spice you could think. Then as my tongue got used to it, I could eat them non-pureed in large quantities but I still need that flavour.
Today I’m sharing with you all a easy 45 minute delicious baked Vegan Chimichanga. It contains mushrooms, black and pinto beans and re-fried beans along with spices onion and garlic. To top it off, I’m using smashed avocado, peach salsa and vegan sour cream.
- La Tortilla Factory non-GMO and gluten free whole-wheat tortilla wraps
- Yves Veggie Cuisine Organic Black Beans in BPA-free cans
- Yves Veggie Cuisine Organic Pinto Beans in BPA-free cans
- Pacific Foods Refried Black Beans
- Tofutti Vegan/Dairy-Free Sour Cream
- Mrs. Renfros Gourmet Peach Salsa
Well I hope you enjoy this recipe and if you do please share it with family and friends.
BAKED VEGAN CHIMICHANGAS RECIPE
SERVES 8 PCS | PREP TIME 30 MINS | BAKE TIME 15 MINS
- 8 small whole-wheat tortilla wraps
- 1 pint white mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 x 398 ml canned black beans, drained
- 1 x 398 ml canned pinto beans, drained
- 1 box (365 ml) re-fried black beans
- 1 organic red onion chopped
- 6 organic garlic cloves minced
- 1 organic jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp organic extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp ground cumin powder
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder (optional)
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2 avocados peeled and smashed
- Salsa of your choice
- Vegan Sour Cream
- Cilantro, finely chopped
Required: lined baking pan with reusable baking liner by Unstick
- In a large skillet set on medium heat, add olive oil. Next add onions, garlic, and mushrooms. Sauteed until soft.
- Add jalapeno pepper and all the spices. Fry until pepper is soft.
- Next add in the black and pinto beans (not re fried beans), cook for 1 -2 minutes max. Remove skillet off heat and mix with re fried beans until well combined.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- To assemble your chimichanga, add 2-3 heaping tbsps. of bean filling to the tortilla, wrap and transfer to baking pan. Repeat process for remaining tortillas. Bake for 15 minutes at 400 degrees F until golden brown. Serve with vegan sour cream, salsa, smashed avocado and chopped cilantro. Enjoy!