RECIPE | MUSHROOM RIGATONI (VEGETARIAN)
Lately I've been really into creamy condensed mushroom soup combined with a rice, pasta or even chicken. It's so delicious, rich tasting and comforting all at the same time. If I had to choose a favourite western soup, mushroom cream soup would be it. The one I'm using for this recipe is by Pacific Foods. Their recyclable tetra packs are fantastic for fast preparation as the box is perforated for easy opening and designed to simply squeeze out the contents without needing a spoon (time saver and one less utensil to wash!)
In this recipe, I'm using Barilla pasta. I think by now you guys now how much I love this company's mission to be sustainable in their business practices. I'm also cooking with nutritional yeast as a substitute for Parmesan cheese by Bob's Red Mill. You can find their products in most natural food aisles.
So before I go, I hope you guys give this recipe a try! If you make it, please take a picture of it and tag @christieathome on Instagram and it may be featured. If you're not on Instagram, please share it with your family and friends. Oh and by the way, did you notice the new table top in the picture below. Well it's definitely not a new table as ours is still in working condition (a little shaky as it is like 15 years old! I can't bare to throw it out seeing it all sad and lonely in a landfill when it has brought me good memories and it's THE backdrop for all my pictures). Anyway, I re-purposed some leftover tiles from our renovations - ha! I realized I need to re-vamp my photos with a new back drop as the glass top is getting a little boring. Just don't tell my husband that I placed cleaned tiles from the garage on the table as he's a huge clean-freak. Shhhh....
Disclaimer: I am not sponsored by the companies listed in this post.
MUSHROOM RIGATONI RECIPE
SERVES 3-4 | PREP TIME 10 MINS | COOK TIME 10-15 MINS
- 454 g of rigatoni pasta
- 1 onion, small diced
- 2 pints of organic white button mushrooms, quartered
- 320 ml of organic condensed mushroom soup (non GMO)
- 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tbsp of all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp of nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp of garlic powder
- 1 tbsp of organic extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare your ingredients as listed above. Begin boiling your pasta in hot boiling salted water until you reach Al-Dente texture. Tip: I usually subtract 1 minute from the total cooking time
- Meanwhile in a separate large skillet set on medium heat, fry your onions in the olive oil until translucent. Next add in the chopped mushrooms and fry until they turn a bit brown.
- Sprinkle in the flour, garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste and stir well. Next pour in the mushroom soup and stir. Raise the heat to medium high until the soup is bubbling.
- Add in the mozzarella cheese and nutritional yeast, mix well. Turn off your heat.
- After your pasta is cooked and strained, pour it into the sauce. Mix well until each noodle is covered in sauce. Serve immediately and enjoy!