RECIPE | FRIES SUPREME
I remember in my beef-eating days I loved Taco Bell's Fries Supreme. It was such a guilty pleasure of mine but it was incredibly unhealthy even if I only had it a few times a year. My husband gave me this bright idea to make my own meatless version of it so I decided to give it a shot this weekend. I replaced deep-fried fries with baked ones and instead of beef, I used iron-rich black beans fried in some avocado oil, shallots and paprika. Then topped off with some dairy free cheese, avocado, fresh tomatoes, sour cream and green onions.
Growing up I always had difficulty eating beans. I'm not a fan of the texture but fried up with some oil and seasoning and it's actually pretty tasty! It's a great substitute for protein and iron. "Black beans are very high in fibre and protein, and rich with vitamins and minerals like vitamin A, calcium, iron, and manganese." They have so many health benefits from preventing cancer to keeping your colon clean to regulating blood sugar levels. Black beans also support your nervous system as they offer amino acids to help support that function. It's also high in vitamins and minerals and especially high in Folate, which is a key nutrient for prenatal health.
In this recipe, I'm using organic black beans by Yves Veggie Cuisine. Their canned goods are also BPA-free. They specialize in meatless meats perfect for any vegetarian. I'm also using dairy-free cheddar cheese by Daiya Foods. Their cheese are soy and gluten-free. You can find their products at most Canadian retailers or check their website store locator by clicking here. As for the avocado oil, I'm using one by Chosen Foods which you can find at Costco. Their oils are non-GMO and they kindly sent me samples last week to try. Prior to these samples, I've always used their avocado oil for high-heat cooking. I avoid using vegetable oil as it can be sourced from Palm Oil. In order to source Palm Oil, rain forests are burned down to acquire this oil which is terrible for the environment.
Well I hope you guys enjoy this recipe! If you make it, please take a picture of it and tag @christieathome on Instagram and it may be featured. If you're not on Instagram, please share it with your family and friends.
Disclaimer: I am not sponsored by any companies listed in this post.
FRIES SUPREME RECIPE
SERVES 2 LARGE PORTIONS OR 3-4 SMALL PORTIONS | PREP TIME 20 MINS | COOK TIME 30 MINS
- 8 small organic yellow/white potatoes
- 1 avocado diced
- 2 ripened vine tomatoes, diced
- 2 stalks of green onions, chopped
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup of dairy-free cheddar cheese shreds
- 1/2 can of black beans
- 1/2 cup of sour cream (alternative: dairy-free sour cream)
- 1/2 tsp of paprika
- 1 tsp of garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Avocado oil for multiple purposes
Required: 2 baking sheets
- Grease two baking sheets with avocado oil. Preheat your oven to 450 degrees F.
- Wash and dry potatoes. Leave unpeeled and thinly slice them into french fries, about 0.5 cm x 1 cm each. Evenly spread the fries onto your baking sheets. Season with pepper, salt and garlic powder. Drizzle some avocado oil over top and massage the spices and oil into the fries. Bake for 30 minutes. Flip half-way through.
- Meanwhile in a small frying pan on medium heat, add 1 tsp of avocado oil. Add the chopped shallots followed by the black beans. Next season with paprika, salt and pepper. Gently fry the beans for about 5-7 minutes. Set aside.
- Remove the fries from the oven. While fries are hot, sprinkle the black beans and cheese over top to allow it to melt. Serve fries onto two large or 4 small plates. Add a scoop of sour cream, followed by diced tomatoes, diced avocados, and chopped green onions. You can sprinkle some more cheese as desired. Serve and enjoy!