RECIPE | MEXICAN QUINOA (VEGAN)
For a semi-vegetarian like me, Mexican food is a great option as it's founded off of plant-based foods, like corn and beans. It's a nice alternative to Italian because frankly, I can only eat so much pasta until I get tired of it. Mexican cuisine also involves some of my favourite vegetables like tomatoes, avocado, and bell peppers.
This recipe is Mexican inspired. It stemmed from me trying to find a healthy but tasty way to eat quinoa because let's face it, it's not the most appetizing of foods. However, the benefits of this little grain are endless. It's no wonder it's made a huge comeback since it was domesticated for consumption about 3000 years ago.
In this recipe, I'm using organic quinoa, bell peppers, avocado, green onions, re-fried beans, salsa and tortilla chips. Some key products from sustainable brands are the following:
- Re-fried beans are by Pacific Foods which mostly carries organic and GMO free products.
- Tortilla chips are by Que Pasa Foods and they are stone ground, non GMO and organic.
- Mild Tomato Salsa is by Neal Brothers and it's also organic and some of their products are GMO free.
- Avocado oil by Chosen Foods which is GMO free
Well I hope you guys enjoy this recipe! If you make it, please take a picture of it and tag @christieathome on Instagram and it may be featured. If you're not on Instagram, please share it with your family and friends.
Disclaimer: I am not sponsored by any companies listed in this post.
MEXICAN QUINOA RECIPE
SERVES 2 | PREP TIME 15 MINS | COOK TIME 10 MINS
- 1 cup of quinoa
- 1-2 bell peppers diced
- 2 avocados peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup of re-fried beans
- 1 shallot diced
- Tortilla Chips, quantity as desired
- 1/8 tsp of garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp of cumin powder
- 1 tsp of avocado oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Optional garnish: 1 stalk of green onions finely chopped
- In a medium size non-stick pot, boil quinoa according to package instructions.
- Meanwhile add 1 tsp of oil to a large skillet set on medium heat. Fry shallots until fragrant and add in diced peppers along with cumin and garlic powder. Fry until soft, approximately 5 minutes. Remove off heat and keep in the pan for later.
- In a microwaveable bowl, add your re-fried beans and season with salt. Microwave for 3-4 minutes until hot and stir in between each minute.
- After quinoa is cooked, add to your pan of peppers and shallots. Fry again for another 2 minutes and combine well. Plate the quinoa mixture.
- Top the quinoa off with re-fried beans, sliced avocado, salsa, chips and green onions for garnish. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve and enjoy!