RECIPE | AVOCADO MAC & CHEESE (VEGETARIAN)
Avocado is all the rage and I was so inspired to make Avocado Mac and Cheese after seeing it on YouTube but I felt the avocado sauce needed some oomph! So I adjusted the recipe a bit and added some additional components to enhance the flavour. This dish is really simple to make and it's so full of creamy avocado and cheese. The benefits of avocado are endless! It's high in Potassium, Folate, Vitamin K, C, B5 & B6 and E. It reduces the risk of high blood pressure and heart illness. Also, it's high in healthy fats (monounsaturated fatty acids) like Oleic acid which is associated with reducing inflammation in the body. This super fruit is very fibrous taking good care of your intestinal tract. In addition to that, avocados contain Lutein and Zeaxanthin which are nutrients to help lower the risk of eye cataracts and benefit the overall health of your eyes. I could go on about the health benefits of avocados but I don't want to digress from the recipe below. So for more health benefits on this super fruit, check them out by clicking here.
Well I hope you guys enjoy this recipe! If you make it, please take a picture of it and tag @christieathome on Instagram and it may be featured. If you're not on Instagram, please share it with your family and friends.
Disclaimer: I am not sponsored by any companies listed in this post.
Facts are sourced by Authority Nutrition.
AVOCADO MAC & CHEESE RECIPE
ADAPTED FROM FIT FOODIE FINDS
SERVES 4 | PREP TIME 20 MINS | OVEN TIME 10 MINS
- 411 GRAMS or 3.5 CUPS OF MACARONI PASTA
- 1 (340 GRAM) MOZZARELLA CHEESE BALL
- 3 ORGANIC AVOCADOS (DE-PITTED AND PEELED)
- 5 GARLIC CLOVES
- 1/3 CUP OF SUN DRIED TOMATOES (DO NOT HYDRATE)
- 6-8 LEAVES OF FRESH BASIL
- JUICE OF 1 LIME
- 1/4 CUP OF ORGANIC VEGETABLE STOCK
- 1/8 CUP OF PANKO BREADCRUMBS
- 1/4 TSP OF GARLIC POWDER
- 1/2 TSP OF RED CHILI PEPPER FLAKES
- 1/2 TSP OF SALT
- EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL
TOOL: BLENDER OR BLENDING TOOL & 9 X 13 INCH BAKING DISH
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Grease a deep baking pan with olive oil and set aside.
- In a medium pot filled with water, boil your macaroni pasta 2-3 minutes less than what the instructions say because the pasta will cook in the oven as well.
- Meanwhile blend together the following ingredients: avocado, garlic, basil, lime juice, vegetable stock, garlic powder and salt. Blend until smooth.
- Slice your mozzarella cheese into cubes.
- Strain your macaroni pasta and in the large baking pan, mix together your pasta, cheese, sun dried tomatoes and avocado sauce until well combined. Sprinkle red pepper chili flakes followed by panko bread crumbs over top.
- Bake for 10 minutes in the oven. Serve with some basil to garnish.
Enjoy and try to consume sooner than later as the avocado will naturally turn brown and the pasta will become softer with each re-heat.