RECIPE | BAKED TOMATO BASIL PASTA
Here it is, my baked tomato basil pasta. It's so simple to make but just requires some time. It's definitely a dish to be made on the weekend but it'll be worth all leftovers you reap from this dish.
In this recipe, I'm using Penne pasta by Delverde, organic extra virgin olive oil by Terra Delyssa, dairy-free cheddar cheese by Daiya Foods, and Bob's Red Mill nutritional yeast as Parmesan cheese. This recipe is completely meatless.
Well I hope you guys enjoy this recipe! If you make it, please take a picture of it and tag @christieathome on Instagram and it may be featured. If you're not on Instagram, please share it with your family and friends.
Disclaimer: I am not sponsored by any companies listed in this post.
BAKED TOMATO BASIL PASTA
SERVES 5-6 | PREP TIME 15 MINS | COOK TIME 40 MINS
- 28 oz can of whole peeled tomatoes
- 450 grams of Penne pasta
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 large handful of fresh basil leaves
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp of dried oregano leaves
- 1 cup of dairy free cheddar cheese shreds
- 2-3 tbsp of nutritional yeast
- 1/8 tsp chilli pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 1/4 cup reserved pasta water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large skillet set at medium heat. Fry onions and garlic until translucent. Add in the dried oregano and chili flakes (optional). Pour in the can of whole peeled tomatoes with the juices and squash the tomatoes down with a fork and mix well. Bring to a boil and then simmer on low for 25 minutes until sauce has been reduced.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Meanwhile, boil a large pot of salted hot water. Boil your pasta for a maximum of 6-7 minutes. Reserve 1/4 cup of hot pasta water for later. Strain pasta in a colander and set aside.
- After sauce has simmered, add reserved pasta water, fresh basil and pasta and mix well. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Pour pasta into a baking dish, sprinkle cheddar cheese on top and bake for 25 minutes.
- Allow it to cool before serving. Top off with nutritional yeast and garnish with more basil. Enjoy!