RECIPE | BAKED ZUCCHINI CRISPS
Zucchini's are a great vegetable. They taste delicious in a simple pan-fry or as zoodles (click here for a recipe) . I've decided to take them up a notch by breading them to serve as a snack or as an appetizer at a party. Served with some warm marinara sauce and they will be gone instantly! These squashes are also filled with health benefits, check out some of them below.
Health Benefits of Zucchini's
- Zucchini's carry Vitamin C which is a anti-oxidant that guards your body from free radicals. Free radicals basically damage your cells. Vitamin C also breaks down fats like cholesterol and maintains your body tissues.
- This squash also provide proper nutrients for good eyesight with Lutein and Zeaxanthin. These two properties help to block out light rays as they come into your eyes to prevent any harm to the tissue.
- Zucchini's also contain Manganese which also assists in guarding the body from free-radicals and maintains healthy building of your bones. Manganese triggers your body to release collagen which accelerates recovery of broke tissues or wounds
Facts sourced from Live Strong.
For this recipe, I recommend using organic zucchini's because they have a thin skin. Vegetables with thin skin allow for pesticide absorption into the part of the vegetable that you would consume. Zucchini's are actually on the Dirty Dozen List if you purchase non-organic. So if you can't buy organic, either invest in a good vegetable/fruit wash or soak your non-organic zucchini's in salt or vinegar water for at least 10-20 minutes before cooking. These zucchini's are then sliced and breaded using flour, organic free-run eggs, and Italian breadcrumbs. Before they're baked, they are drizzled with some avocado oil by Chosen Foods. (You all now know my gripe with vegetable oil and how I avoid it as it supports the Oil Palm Industry which is responsible for deforestation, animal habitat loss and climate change). And then, they're baked in 20 minutes!
Well I hope you guys enjoy this recipe! If you make it, please take a picture of it and tag @christieathome on Instagram and it may be featured. If you're not on Instagram, please share it with your family and friends.
Disclaimer: I am not sponsored by any companies listed in this post.
BAKED ZUCCHINI CRISPS RECIPE
YIELDS ABOUT 50-60 PIECES | PREP TIME 20 MINS | BAKE TIME 20 MINS
- 2 organic medium zucchini's sliced at 1 cm thick
- 1.5 cups of Italian breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup of flour
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of pepper
- 4 free-run organic eggs whisked
- Avocado oil for drizzling
Required: One large baking sheet lined with a silicone mat for Eco-friendly purposes. You can use parchment paper.
BAKED ZUCCHINI CRISPS
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Prepare your ingredients as listed above. In the first bowl, pour your flour, salt and pepper into it and whisk until well combined. In the 2nd bowl, whisk 4 eggs together. In the 3rd bowl, pour your breadcrumbs into it.
- Dunk each zucchini slice into your flour, then eggs, then breadcrumbs until coated. Lay onto the lined baking sheet. Repeat until all zucchini slices are breaded.
- Drizzle some avocado oil over your zucchinis and bake for 20 minutes until golden brown. Serve with some warm marinara sauce and enjoy!