RECIPE | BUTTERNUT SQUASH PENNE
This is an easy pasta dish that is sweet and contains a hint of spice, garlic, rosemary and shallots. Earlier this week, I posted my Kale Butternut Squash Salad (if you missed the recipe click here) and sometimes it's challenging to eat all that squash in one go. So why not save and use it in a pasta? This pasta is vegetarian if you opt for vegan Parmesan cheese and it's full of nutritious squash. It can be creamy or dry if you add more vegetable stock and cheese.
Well I hope you guys enjoy this recipe! If you make it, please take a picture of it and tag @christieathome on Instagram and it may be featured. If you're not on Instagram, please share it with your family and friends.
Disclaimer: I am not sponsored by any companies listed in this post.
BUTTERNUT SQUASH PASTA RECIPE
SERVE 4 | PREP TIME 30 MINS | COOK TIME 20 MINS
- 400 GRAMS OF PENNE PASTA
- 1/2 ORGANIC MEDIUM BUTTERNUT SQUASH (PEELED, DE-SEEDED AND DICED)
- 600 ML OF VEGETABLE STOCK
- 2 SPRINGS OF ROSEMARY LEAVES (REMOVE STEMS)
- 2 GARLIC CLOVES SLICED
- 2 SHALLOTS FINELY CHOPPED
- 4 TBSP OF ORGANIC EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL
- 1/8 TSP OF HOT CHILI PEPPER FLAKES
SALT & PEPPER TO TASTE
- In a large deep pan set on medium heat, add your oil.
- Once oil is hot, add your garlic, shallots, rosemary leaves, and hot chilli pepper flakes. Fry for 30 seconds until shallots are softened but not burnt.
- Add in the diced butternut squash. Season with pepper and fry for a few minutes. Then pour in the vegetable stock. Allow this boil on high for 20 minutes until the sauce has reduced.
- In the meantime, boil your penne pasta to Al-Dente texture by following package instructions.
- Strain your pasta and reserve some of the hot pasta water (approx. 1/4 cup). Pour that into the sauce to thicken it.
- Pour the strained pasta into the sauce and mix. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Optional: Garnish with vegan Parmesan cheese for a vegetarian dish.
Tip: To make this pasta creamier, add a bit more vegetable stock and cheese until you reach the consistency you like.