RECIPE | CHICKEN POT PIE
Before I dive into this recipe, I wanted to share a bit about eating certified humane chicken. On the occasional day I allow myself to eat meat, I use organic or certified humane. The chickens live a better life under less stressful environments. They are not raised off hormones or antibiotics. They eat better and are not cooped up in cages - they live the life they deserve and they are slaughtered humanely. With this treatment, they're happier and therefore the meat is more flavourful and tender. I use the organic free range chicken by Blue Goose Pure Foods found at your local Sobeys, Loblaws, Michael-Angelo's or Yummy Market in Ontario. For a less costly option, Blue Goose Pure Foods carries non-organic humane chicken free of hormones or antibiotics.
Over the past year, my husband and I have been reducing our meat intake for a few reasons. We consume meat once a week. It's a challenge especially when we consumed meat daily and there are days when I miss the taste or texture. I don't regret my decision and I feel healthier and cleaner overall. I feel better knowing that I do not contribute as much to the alarming growth of animal agriculture, which is the largest contributor of greenhouse emissions. Methane gas produced by ruminant animals is far more potent at warming the earth than carbon dioxide emitted by transportation. So without further ado, here's my Chicken Pot Pie recipe but please consider certified humane meat when making this recipe.
I hope you guys enjoy this recipe! If you make it, please take a picture of it and tag @christieathome on Instagram and it may be featured. If you're not on Instagram, please share it with your family and friends.
Disclaimer: I am not sponsored by any companies listed in this post.
CHICKEN POT PIE RECIPE
SERVES 4 | PREP TIME 20 MINS | COOK TIME 1 HOUR 10 MINUTES
- 1 pound of Chicken large diced (opt for Certified Humane or Organic for better flavour)
- 400 grams of Puff Pastry
- 1 3/4 cups of organic Chicken Stock
- 2/3 cups of Milk or Cream
- 1 cup of Celery diced
- 1 cup of Carrots diced
- 1 cup of frozen Corn
- 1 Onion chopped
- 1/3 cup of All Purpose Flour
- 2 tablespoons of Butter
- 1/2 teaspoon of Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of Salt
- 1 teaspoon of dried Thyme Leaves (not shown in picture)
Required: 9 x 11 inch casserole dish
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Prepare your ingredients as instructed above
- Season chicken with salt, pepper and thyme
- In a sauce pan set on low heat, add your butter and allow it to melt.
- Add in your onions and cook until translucent
- Increase heat to medium high and add in chicken. Cook until no longer pink (approx 4-5 minutes) but do not overcook as the chicken will continue to cook in the oven.
- Add in your carrots, celery and corn. Cook until softened.
- Sprinkle your flour over chicken and veggies and stir until everything is evenly coated
- Pour in chicken stock and milk/cream. Stir to combine well and allow the sauce to thicken for 5 minutes on low heat. Then remove off stove.
- Meanwhile, roll out your puff pastry to create 2 layers at approximately 13 x 13 inches each. Flour the bottom of your casserole dish and line with 1 piece.
- Then pour your pie filling into the dish
- Lay the second layer of puff pastry over top. Roll up both layers of dough together into the pie (see picture above)
- Brush the pie with some oil or water. Slit 4 holes in the top layer to allow steam to escape.
- Bake for 35 minutes until golden brown.