RECIPE | CINNAMON WAFFLES WITH BERRY COMPOTE (VEGETARIAN)
Merry Christmas Everyone!
What a wonderful time of the season to celebrate with family and friends. As I age and as everyone's schedules become more packed, finding time to spend with your loved ones can become more sparse and it's seasons like this that really bring people together. That's what I enjoy most about food as well, it really unionizes people.
Each Christmas it's tradition that I make my husband waffles after he comes back from his "epic" (as he always jokes) mountain bike rides. This year he got to try my Cinnamon Waffles with Berry Compote. These waffles are dairy-free. They're made with free-range organic eggs, vegan butter by Earth Balance along with several other ingredients that you probably have around the house. The Berry Compote is also super easy to make and requires literally 5 ingredients.
I hope you guys enjoy this simple recipe idea for a Christmas Brunch. I decided to post it a little early in case you were looking for some ideas. Hope you all have a wonderful holiday filled with cheer, laughter and love. May you cherish these special times with your loved ones and savour each moment.
Take good care,
CINNAMON WAFFLES WITH BERRY COMPOTE RECIPE
SERVES 6 | PREP TIME 20 MINS | COOK TIME 5 MINS PER WAFFLE | COOK TIME 12 MINS FOR BERRY COMPOTE
WAFFLES Adapted from All Recipes
- 2 cups of all purpose flour
- 1 tsp of salt
- 4 tsp of baking powder
- 1 tsp of cinnamon powder
- 2 tbsps of organic cane sugar
- 2 free-range organic eggs
- 1.5 cups of almond milk (or cashew milk)
- 1/3 cup of dairy-free vegan butter, melted
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
Required: Waffle Iron
- 1 cup of fresh organic strawberries
- 1 cup of fresh organic blueberries
- 1 cup of fresh organic raspberries
- 3 tbsp of orange juice
- 1 dash of cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp of organic cane sugar
- In a mixing bowl, combine your flour, salt, baking powder and cinnamon powder. Mix together.
- In another bowl, mix together eggs, milk of choice, melted butter, and vanilla extract. Stir in the wet mixture into the dry ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Preheat your waffle iron. Once hot, ladel your waffle batter. Close it and cook for 5-6 minutes or until golden crispy brown.
- In a small pot set on medium heat, add in your berries with the juice. All it to come to a simmer and then lower heat. Allow this to bubble for 12 - 15 minutes until it has reduced.
- Serve overtop of your waffles with a sprinkle of vegan icing sugar. For extra sweetness: add maple syrup. Enjoy!