RECIPE | GRILLED CORN AVOCADO SALAD
If you like corn, avocado, tomatoes and black beans, then I think this salad may suit your fancy. It's light, healthy and works well as a side dish. Covered in a Honey Lime dressing, it's a slightly sweeter salad. I used fresh sweet corn grilled over the BBQ for this recipe and I find that it gives the salad a great flavour rather than using boiled corn that's been frozen or canned but that is an alternative.
Well I hope you guys enjoy this recipe! If you make it, please take a picture of it and tag @christieathome on Instagram and it may be featured. If you're not on Instagram, please share it with your family and friends.
GRILLED CORN AVOCADO SALAD
SERVES 3-4 | PREP TIME 20 MINS | GRILLING TIME | 15 MINS | CHILLING TIME 1 HOUR
- 4 EARS OF FRESH SWEET CORN, WITH HUSKS LEFT ON
- 2 AVOCADOS, DICED
- 1 PINT OF GRAPE TOMATOES, SLICED IN HALF
- 1.5 CUPS OF ORGANIC CANNED BLACK BEANS, RINSED AND STRAINED
- 1 TBSP OF MALT VINEGAR
- JUICE OF 1 LIME
- 1 TSP OF EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
REQUIRED: BBQ GRILL OR GRILL SKILLET
HONEY LIME DRESSING:
- 2 TBSP OF HONEY
- 6 TBSP OF VEGETABLE OIL
- 2 GARLIC CLOVES, MINCED
- JUICE OF 2 LIMES
- SALT AND PEPPER TO TASTE
- Prepare your ingredients as listed above.
- Pre-heat your grill to medium flame. With the corn husks still on, grill for 15 minutes covering them with a lid. Alternatively if you removed the husks off, wrap corn in aluminum foil before grilling. Turn corn half way through and cook until it is bright yellow with some grill marks. Allow corn to cool before shucking.
- Meanwhile in a small pan set on medium heat, pour 1 tsp of olive oil in. Add the strained black beans and fry for approximately 1 minute. Then pour in the malt vinegar and squeeze the juice of lime over top. Gently toss the beans around until the moisture has evaporated for another 2-3 minutes. Remove off the stove and set aside to cool.
- Once your corn is cool to touch, using a sharp knife slice off the corn niblets. Sweep them into a large mixing bowl. Then add in the tomatoes, avocado and black beans to your large mixing bowl. Gently combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix with the salad dressing and allow the flavours to marinate for 30-60 minutes. Try to consume within 1-2 days.
- In a small bowl whisk together 2 tbsp of honey, juice of 2 limes, minced garlic, and 6 tbsp of vegetable oil. Season with salt and pepper. Pour the dressing over your salad.