CREAMY MUSHROOM SAGE PASTA
There are days when I feel that I need to up my pasta game. I tend to resort to a tomato based pasta sauce which can be redundant, if you've had it too many times. I'm also allergic to tomatoes (yet I still eat them) and I learned it's a "Nightshade" food. What's a Nightshade? It's a type of food that causes inflammation to the body for certain individuals. Nightshades include eggplant, potatoes (not sweet potatoes), bell peppers, gogi berries, gooseberries and more. Signs of inflammation can range from an upset stomach, acne, bloating and more. Of course, before you stop eating nightshade foods altogether, reassess your body to check for immediate symptoms. For me, after eating a big bowl of spaghetti I would experience mild tummy ache and skin blemishes and I realized it wasn't normal after almost 30 years! For more information on Nightshade foods, check out Butter Nutrition's blog post by clicking here.
So instead of using tomato sauce, I created a cream based pasta that is dairy-free. But using almond or soy milk makes the sauce smell of almonds or soy, causing the sauce to taste a little off. I tried using organic canned Coconut Milk and ummm WINNER! It worked so well with the mushrooms, sage and spinach. It does have a coconut smell but it's not off-putting to me. I prefer it much more than almond or soy milk.
For this recipe, I'm using organic cremini mushrooms, frozen spinach, Terra Delyssa Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Pacific Foods vegetable stock, Thai Kitchen whole Coconut Milk, shallots, garlic powder and Barilla non-GMO fettuccine pasta.
Well I hope you guys enjoy this recipe! If you make it, please take a picture of it and tag @christieathome on Instagram and it may be featured. If you're not on Instagram, please share this recipe with your family and friends across social media or by simple word of mouth. I'd appreciate it GREATLY!
Take good care,
Disclaimer: I am not sponsored by any companies listed in this post.
CREAMY MUSHROOM SAGE PASTA RECIPE
SERVES 3-4 | PREP TIME 15 MINS | COOK TIME 15 MINS
- 1 pint of organic cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbsp of chopped sage
- 2 shallots, roughly chopped
- 1.5 cups of frozen spinach
- 450 grams or 1 box of fettuccini pasta
- 2 cups of organic whole coconut milk (mix together coconut milk and the separate coconut fat until well combined)
- 1/2 tsp of garlic powder
- 1/4 cup of vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup of reserved hot pasta water
- 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare your ingredients as listed above. Boil pasta according to package instructions. Reserve 1/4 cup of hot pasta water and set aside. Strain pasta.
- In a large deep sauce pan set on medium heat, add your olive oil. Fry shallots and sage until shallots are translucent. Next add in mushrooms and fry until browned, approx 5 mins.
- After add in frozen spinach and allow it to thaw out in pan. Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Pour in vegetable stock, followed by coconut milk (Tip: whisk coconut milk until fat and milk are well combined before adding to the pan). Mix well. Add in the reserved pasta water to thicken sauce.
- Throw in strained pasta. Combine well. Serve and enjoy!