RECIPE | FRIED VEGGIE VERMICELLI WITH EGG
This is a recipe passed down to me from my grandmother. I remember when I was a very young girl and she would make this dish and it was one of my favourites. She would crisp up the noodles. The black pepper also accentuates the taste so don't skip out on that. My grandma wouldn't add the same veggies in her version but I did for extra protein, nutrient and fibre.
The key to keeping these noodles springy is to pre-soak them in water and not to boil them. If you boil them ahead of frying, the noodles become soggy. I'm also cooking with free-range organic eggs by Burnbrae Farms, extra firm organic non-GMO tofu by Soyganic and avocado oil by Chosen Foods. I always use avocado oil for high temperature cooking as it's neutral in taste and healthier for the skin. I avoid vegetable oil at all costs because it's hard to confirm if it is sourced from Oil Palm Trees. The Oil Palm Industry is associated with many global issues like climate change, habitat loss, deforestation and animal cruelty. Usually palm oil trees are burn down the trees to harvest that oil. By burning down trees, all the greenhouse gases that have been absorbed over thousands of years are sent back into the atmosphere deteriorating our ozone layer by ten fold, furthering global warming. Also on a beauty note, palm oil is not good for the skin as it tends to clog pores and you can say hello to sebum!
Anyway, I hope you guys give this recipe a try. If you make it, please take a picture of it and tag @christieathome on Instagram and it may be featured. If you're not on Instagram, please share it with your family and friends.
Disclaimer: I am not sponsored by the companies listed in this post.
FRIED VEGGIE VERMICELLI WITH EGG RECIPE
SERVES 2 | PREP TIME 15 MINS | COOK TIME 20 MINS
- 250 g of dried vermicelli, soaked in warm water
- 175 g of extra firm non GMO tofu, diced
- 6 pieces of shanghai baby bok choy, sliced
- 2 stalks of green onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 3 free-range organic eggs, scrambled
- 3 tbsp of organic light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp of organic dark soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp of sesame oil
- 1/8 tsp of black pepper
- 3 tbsp of avocado oil
- salt for the eggs
- 1/3 - 1/2 cup of warm water, as needed
- Prepare all ingredients as listed above.
- Presoak noodles in warm water for 5-7 minutes until they're soft but not soggy. Strain and set aside.
- To prepare your eggs, whisk them in a bowl adding 1 tsp of avocado oil and season with salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl with your diced tofu, add 1 tbsp of light soy sauce and keep the remaining soy sauce for the noodles. Set aside.
- In a large non-stick pan set on medium heat, fry the scrambled eggs. Fry until they reach form but are wet looking, approximately 1-2 mins each side. Fold the eggs over. Remove from pan and slice into bite size pieces.
- In the same pan set on medium-high heat, add 1 tsp of avocado oil and fry the tofu until they are browned on all sides, about 5 mins. Keep the remaining soy sauce for your noodles. Remove tofu from pan and set aside.
- In the same pan set on medium heat, add remaining avocado oil and sliced garlic. Slow fry the garlic until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Then add in green onions, carrots, and celery. Fry for 1 minute. Lastly add in bok choy and fry for another 4 minutes until vegetables are soft.
- Throw in strained noodles. Seasons with sesame oil, pepper, both soy sauces plus the soy sauce from the tofu soak. Combine well until noodles are evenly coated in sauce, about 3 minutes. Add water to noodles and fry a little longer until water been absorbed into noodle.
- Lastly add eggs and tofu and give it a good mix. Serve immediately and enjoy!