RECIPE | GREEN ONION LIME CHICKEN
This weekend I decided to try combining a few Asian ingredients to marinate some chicken thighs. To my marinade, I added green onion, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, cane sugar, sesame oil but with one twist: lime juice. In Chinese cooking, they don't usually use lime juice as a source of acidity. They tend to use vinegar but I thought, "Why not, let's give it a whirl and see where this goes". To my surprise, it worked out well! There's a hint of of every ingredient flavour in this dish and it pairs nicely with steamed white rice and some dark leafy greens like Bok or Yu Choy (you can find both at your Asian grocer).
For this recipe, I'm using chicken thighs by Blue Goose Pure Foods. They provide consumers with the choice of certified humane, free-range and/or organic chicken. It's hormone and antibiotic free, as well. The meat tastes better, it's healthier and I feel better knowing that the chickens were raised humanely from birth to slaughter. If you're interested in knowing more about their company, check them out by clicking here. You can purchase their product at Sobeys, Loblaws, Michael-Angelo's or check their store locator for a location nearest you.
Well I hope you guys enjoy this recipe! If you make it, please take a picture of it and tag @christieathome on Instagram and it may be featured. If you're not on Instagram, please share this recipe with your family and friends across social media or by simple word of mouth. I'd appreciate it GREATLY!
Take good care,
Disclaimer: I am not sponsored by any companies listed in this post.
GREEN ONION LIME CHICKEN RECIPE
YIELDS 5 PIECES | PREP TIME 20 MINS | COOK TIME 20 MINS
- 5 chicken thighs with skin and bone
- 3 stalks of green onion, chopped
- Juice of 2 limes
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp of chopped ginger
- 2 tbsp of low sodium soy sauce
- 3/4 tsp of organic cane sugar
- 1 tsp of sesame oil
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all your marinade ingredients until sugar has dissolved. Add in chicken thighs and marinade for at least 10 minutes. You can marinate overnight if you wish for a deeper flavour.
- In a non-stick frying pan on high heat, add chicken thighs (leaving marinade aside). Sear on each side for 2 minutes. Layer the marinade ingredients over the thighs.
- Lower heat to medium and cover with a lid. Cook for 15 minutes until meat is cooked at the bone. To lift the sauce from the pan, you can add a few tablespoons of water.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!