RECIPE | ONE POT HAINAN CHICKEN RICE
Hainan Chicken Rice is an Asian classic dish that usually takes more than 30 minutes to cook the chicken alone. My healthy version uses quality ingredients and only takes less than 30 minutes to make in one pot (yes one pot!) and the return is one fulfilling meal. The chicken is boiled over the rice while being infused with chicken broth, ginger, garlic, green onion and soy sauce. It's a healthy dish and perfect for long days after work.
I always use certified humane chicken by Blue Goose Pure Foods (found at many Canadian grocers) for all my meat recipes. It's important to me for several reasons. Chickens are raised without hormones or antibiotics. They live in a cage free environment and can live happier lives. They're not as stressed as caged chickens so we ourselves are not taking in those stress toxins. It's a benefit for both you and the chicken so it's something I definitely recommend. The price point is only a couple dollars more but it's worthwhile to your health and for the welfare of these animals.
Well I hope you guys enjoy this recipe! If you make it, please take a picture of it and tag @christieathome on Instagram and it may be featured. If you're not on Instagram, please share it with your family and friends.
Disclaimer: I am not sponsored by any companies listed in this post.
HAINAN CHICKEN RICE RECIPE
Adapted from Tastemade's Hainan Chicken Rice
YIELDS 2 LARGE PORTIONS (OR 4 SMALLER PORTIONS) | PREP TIME 8 MINS | COOK TIME 22 MINS
- 4 BONELESS CHICKEN THIGHS (OPT FOR CERTIFIED HUMANE OR ORGANIC)
- 1 MEASURING CUP OF JASMINE WHITE RICE
- 1.5 CUPS OF ORGANIC CHICKEN BROTH
- 2 GARLIC CLOVES PEELED
- 2 INCHES WORTH OF GINGER PEELED & CHOPPED
- 1 STALK OF GREEN ONION CHOPPED IN HALF
- 1 TBSP OF OLIVE OIL
- 1 TBSP OF LOW SODIUM SOY SAUCE
- 2 TSP OF SALT
- Prepare your ingredients as listed above.
- With 1.5 tsp of salt, rub it onto the skin of the chicken until they're shiny and clean. Pat them dry with a paper towel.
- In a deep non-stick pot, rinse your rice with water a few times until water runs clear. Pour out the water. Then pour in the chicken broth. Add in olive oil, soy sauce, chopped ginger, garlic cloves, and remaining salt. Mix well.
- With the skin side down, place the chicken on top of the rice and broth mixture. Then place the green onion over top. Cover with a lid.
- Set the covered pot on high heat until it reaches a boil. Once it comes to a boil, immediately lower heat to a low and cook for 12 minutes. After the 12 minute mark, shut off the heat but leave the covered pot on the stove to steam out the residual broth.
- Once cooked, remove the green onion, ginger and garlic cloves. Slice your chicken. Serve with some sweet chili sauce and enjoy!