RECIPE | LEMONGRASS CHICKEN
On the days when I allow myself to have meat, I will have certified humane poultry or wild caught seafood. I try to only have poultry or seafood because they produce the least amount of greenhouse gases unlike beef, pork and lamb which are top contributors. Greenhouse gases contribute to the ongoing issue of climate change. Unfortunately animal agriculture is the leading contributor of greenhouse gas emissions so my husband and I are trying to do our part by reducing the amount of meat we eat. We haven't looked back and we have never felt more healthy.
Back to this recipe, this is a simple dish that doesn't take much effort to make. It's salty while sweet and inspired by vietnamese cuisine. It goes so well with steamed Jasmine rice and veggies. It can be prepared in advance, marinated overnight and cooked the next day in 8 minutes or less!
Well I hope you guys enjoy this recipe! If you make it, please take a picture of it and tag @christieathome on Instagram and it may be featured. If you're not on Instagram, please share it with your family and friends.
Disclaimer: I am not sponsored by any companies listed in this post.
LEMONGRASS CHICKEN RECIPE
SERVES 4 | PREP TIME 1 HOUR 15 MINS | COOK TIME 6-8 MINS
- 2 CHICKEN BREASTS DICED INTO 1 INCH PIECES (OPT FOR CERTIFIED HUMANE CHICKEN FOR BEST FLAVOUR)
- 2 CHICKEN THIGHS (SKINLESS) DICED INTO 1 INCH PIECES
- 2 LEMONGRASS STALKS (USING ONLY THE BOTTOM HALVES)
- 1 SMALL ONION SLICED
- 4 GARLIC CLOVES FINELY CHOPPED
- 1 TEASPOON OF KOREAN RED PEPPER FLAKES
- 2 TABLESPOONS OF BROWN SUGAR
- 2 TABLESPOONS OF FISH SAUCE
- 2 TABLESPOONS OF VEGETABLE OIL
- 1/2 TEASPOON OF SALT
- Prepare your ingredients as listed above.
- In a large bowl, mix together the chopped lemongrass, garlic, fish sauce, red pepper flakes, brown sugar and salt. Add your diced chicken and combine until pieces are evenly coated. Marinate for 1 hour or overnight for maximum flavour.
- After chicken has been marinated, in a large frying pan set to medium - high heat, add your vegetable oil. Once oil is hot, fry your sliced onions until translucent.
- Then add chicken with juices and fry for 3 minutes on one side and 3 minutes on the other until no longer pink inside.
- Serve with some steamed Jasmine rice and vegetables.