RECIPE | MUSHROOM SPINACH LASAGNA (VEGETARIAN)
Mushroom Spinach Lasagna screams comfort food to me. It's one of those baked foods with all my favourite things in it and when I eat it, it's powerful enough to turn my day right side up. It’s a great dish for the family if you want to make large portions for the week or have leftovers for the work week. It takes about 1.5 hours to make but it’s well worth it. For this recipe, I'm using Barilla pasta and Neal Brothers’ Basil & Tomato sauce. I try to support Barilla Pasta due to their sustainability mission as a large leading company in the pasta business. Since 2010, the company has reduced their carbon emissions by -28%, water consumption by -21%, and their energy usage by -8%. Their packaging is recyclable, as well. If you want to read more on their mission, click here.
I mentioned this on my Instagram you can lead a sustainable lifestyle just by supporting companies that are eco-friendly. My hope is if a large company like Barilla Pasta can become sustainable in their business practices, any company can. Only if we consumers demand it by supporting companies that already are. Why? Because once other companies will notice that their sustainable competitors are doing well, they will make the switch over to win over those customers. The first way I started to notice if companies were on the right path was by looking at their packaging. Most sustainable companies before going organic will participate in the GMO-Free Project and this will be indicated on the package label. This is the usually first sign that they care enough about what they're feeding people and how that impacts the planet. The second way I check is by simply looking up their company mission online and see if they have a section dedicated to sustainability. Yep, it's that simple.
Well I hope you guys enjoy this recipe! If you make it, please take a picture of it and tag @christieathome on Instagram and it may be featured. If you're not on Instagram, please share this recipe with your family and friends across social media or by simple word of mouth. I'd appreciate it GREATLY!
Take good care,
MUSHROOM SPINACH LASAGNA RECIPE
YIELDS 12 PIECES | PREP 45 mins | BAKE TIME 45 mins
- 1 pack of lasagna noodles (9-12 sheets)
- 10 cups of fresh loosely packed spinach leaves
- 1.5 litres of marinara sauce
- 2-3 pints of white button mushrooms, sliced
- 454 g of light ricotta cheese
- 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- Optional: Grand Padano cheese, grated
Required: Large deep baking dish
- Prepare your ingredients as listed above. Boil your lasagna noodles according to package instructions.
- In a large pan set on medium heat, add ½ tbsp. of olive oil. Fry your sliced mushrooms with spinach until water has evaporated.
- In a small bowl, combine ½ cup of marinara sauce with ½ tbsp of olive oil. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix together ricotta cheese and marinara sauce. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large deep baking dish, spread the marinara sauce & oil mixture on the base of the dish to coat it. Layer with cooked noodles. Then layer over top with some cooked mushrooms and spinach. Lastly add a layer of the ricotta and marinara sauce mixture. Then top off with a layer of noodles. Repeat process until ingredients are used up. Top the lasagna off with remaining ricotta sauce mixture (if remaining).
- Bake covered for 35 minutes. Bake for another 10 minutes without cover. Remove from oven and let it rest for 10 minutes before eating.
- Optional: serve with some grated Padano cheese and enjoy!