RECIPE | SPICY ZUCCHINI SPAGHETTINI
After spending a week in NYC and having access to so many vegetarian and vegan restaurants, I felt inspired to continue eating clean and to incorporate more vegetables into my diet. The level of creativity and flavour found in NYC's vegan/vegetarian cuisine was eye opening and really pushed the boundaries. One restaurant I have to mention is Beyond Sushi. All of their food is vegan or meatless. We ordered their fishless sushi rolls, meatless dumplings and hot Ramen noodles and every dish passed in taste with flying colours! They used Asian sauces to help boost the flavour and I have to admit their meatless dumplings tasted far better than any meat filled dumpling I've ever had. It was so good, I had to return back and get the same dumplings again. I only wish they could bring Beyond Sushi to Toronto. If you're ever visiting Manhattan, definitely check them out.
Now moving onto this spicy pasta recipe. This dish definitely has a kick to it but the good news is if you're not into spice it's totally removable by taking away the chili pepper flakes. This pasta is filled with healthy vegetables but the main star of this pasta is Zucchini or squash. If you're interested in reading some of the health benefits to zucchini, check it out here:
Health Benefits of Zucchini
- Zucchini contains 295 mg/cup of Potassium or 8% of your suggested daily value. Potassium helps to normalize your blood pressure by reducing the effects of sodium.
- Zucchini is high in Vitamin C or contains 20 mg/cup or 33% of your daily amount. Vitamin C is an anti-oxidant and helps to improve your blood cell walls. It also reduces blood pressure and prevents clogged arteries.
- Low in calories!
- High in fibre
Well I hope you guys enjoy this recipe! If you make it, please take a picture of it and tag @christieathome on Instagram and it may be featured. If you're not on Instagram, please share it with your family and friends.
Disclaimer: I am not sponsored by any companies listed in this post.
SPICY ZUCCHINI SPAGHETTINI RECIPE
SERVES 4 | PREP TIME 15 MINS | COOK TIME 25 MINS
- 1 MEDIUM ORGANIC RED ONION DICED
- 2 ORGANIC ZUCCHINIS DICED
- 4 ORGANIC GARLIC CLOVES SLICED
- 28 OZ OF CANNED WHOLE PEELED TOMATOES
- 300 GRAMS OF SPAGHETTINI
- 1/4 TEASPOON OF HOT CHILI PEPPER FLAKES
- 3/4 TEASPOON OF SALT
- 2 TABLESPOONS OF EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL
- Prepare ingredients as listed above.
- In a deep sauce pan on medium heat, add your olive oil and begin frying your onions, garlic, and hot chili pepper flakes until translucent.
- Add your diced zucchinis and fry until softened. Then pour the can of whole peeled tomatoes with the sauce and stir with your vegetables. Season with 3/4 of a teaspoon of salt.
- Bring sauce to a boil with lid half on and then lower to low-medium heat. Simmer for 20 minutes to allow sauce to reduce.
- Meanwhile, boil your pasta to Al-Dente texture according package instructions.
- Reserve 1/4 cup of the hot pasta water and pour into the sauce and stir. This acts as a thickening agent. Turn off the heat.
- Once pasta is cooked, pour into sauce. Toss until noodles are evenly coated and serve.