RECIPE | SWEET SOY SAUCE CHICKEN
This is a quick and easy Asian dish that I use to often eat as a child. My mother would cook this using chicken wings but I used skinless chicken thighs. I use certified humane chicken by Blue Goose Pure Foods for the best flavour. It's beneficial to cook with humane or organic chicken to avoid consuming antibiotics and hormones injected into "regular" chickens. You're also giving these animals a better life and supporting local farmers who care about their product. As consumers demand more of this, organic and certified humane produce will become more affordable. In fact, humane chicken is less costly than organic, ranging from $4-6 per pound at Sobeys. Click here if you're interested in reading more about this topic.
Sweet Soy Sauce Chicken is so simple and delicious with white rice alone. It's flavoured with honey, low sodium soy sauce with hints of ginger and garlic. Cooked under 25 minutes, it's one of those staple meals that will come in handy after a long day at work.
Well I hope you guys enjoy this recipe! If you make it, please take a picture of it and tag @christieathome on Instagram and it may be featured. If you're not on Instagram, please share it with your family and friends.
Disclaimer: I am not sponsored by any companies listed in this post.
SWEET SOY SAUCE CHICKEN RECIPE
SERVES 2 | PREP TIME 15 MINS | COOK TIME 25 MINS ADAPTED FROM TABLE FOR TWO
- 1 LB OF SKINLESS BONELESS CHICKEN THIGHS (OPT FOR CERTIFIED HUMANE/ORGANIC)
- 5 GARLIC CLOVES MINCED
- 1 SHALLOT FINELY CHOPPED
- 1/2 TBSP OF SLICED GINGER
- 3 TBSP OF LOW SODIUM SOY SAUCE
- 3 TBSP OF EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL
- 4-5 TBSPS OF MANUKA HONEY
- 1/2 TBSP OF SESAME OIL
- 1/4 TSP OF PEPPER
- Prepare your ingredients as listed above.
- To create the marinade for the chicken, mix together the soy sauce, garlic, ginger, olive oil, honey, sesame oil and pepper. Pour over chicken and mix until chicken is evenly coated.
- Meanwhile as your chicken marinates for a few minutes, in a deep pan set on medium heat, add 1 tbsp of the marinade to your hot pan to act as an oil. Throw in the chopped shallots and fry until soft.
- Then add in your chicken along with all the marinade. Cook for 25 minutes covered with a lid on medium heat. It should be a medium simmer.
- Flip the chicken every now and then to avoid any burning as honey can burn easily.
- Serve with steamed white rice and veggies of your choice.