RECIPE | TOMATO SPINACH PASTA (VEGAN)
Hello all! Happy Thursday!
This past weekend, I made a light cream Tomato Spinach Pasta that is dairy-free and meatless. It's got the delicious taste of tomatoes, basil, and garlic with the nutrition of spinach. I thought I'd share it with you all because it's so easy and quick for nights after work. It's also great for families if you double up on the proportions. A lot of mom's who are new to cooking are the ones who rely on some of my recipes and it's warms my heart when they tell me so. It brings me joy that I can help lead their families to tasty and healthier food with the foundation of clean eating.
For this recipe, I'm using GMO-free Penne pasta by Barilla. As I mentioned before, this sauce has a light creaminess without the use of cow-dairy by using plain unsweetened almond-milk by Silk. If you prefer a very creamy look and taste, you can add a bit more almond milk but make sure to simmer the sauce for longer to reduce the water content. I'm also using a good quality marinara sauce by Victoria Fine Foods, organic spinach, organic basil and garlic to give it that delicious garlicky scent. I love spinach in my pasta's because they're full of health benefits but they don't carry an overpowering taste. Did you know that spinach naturally gets rid of dark under-eye circles? It's because they contain Vitamin K which helps to improve blood circulation in that specific area. BEAUTY TIP! (Facts Sourced from Chatelaine Magazine)
Well I hope you guys enjoy this recipe! If you make it, please take a picture of it and tag @christieathome on Instagram and it may be featured.
Take good care,
Disclaimer: I am not sponsored by any companies listed in this post.
TOMATO SPINACH PASTA RECIPE
SERVES 2 | PREP TIME 15 MINS | COOK TIME 20 MINS
- 225 grams of penne pasta
- 2.5 cups of good quality marinara sauce
- 5-6 cups of organic baby spinach leaves
- 1 handful of organic fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1/3 cup - 1/2 cup of plain unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- salt to taste
- Prepare ingredients as listed above.
- Boil your pasta according to package instructions or until Al-Dente texture, 11 minutes approx. Strain it and set it aside. Reserve 1/4 cup of the hot pasta water for the sauce later.
- In a large pan set on medium heat, add your olive oil and garlic and slow fry the garlic until fragrant. Next pour in the marinara sauce and stir. Let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Into the sauce, pour your almond milk and stir. Next add in the spinach leaves, followed by the basil. Combine well until leaves have wilted. Feel free to season with some salt to taste.
- Pour in the reserved pasta water and stir. Let this simmer for another 5-10 minutes until sauce has thickened and reduced.
- Lastly add in the strained pasta and combine until noodles are well coated in the sauce. Remove off heat, garnish with more basil and serve immediately. Enjoy!