RECIPE | GREEK RICE (VEGAN)
Hey guys! I hope you all had a nice Easter weekend. We had some nice warm weather for this long weekend. I had a really lovely one and managed to create two new recipes. Lately I've been in a lull in creating new recipe ideas. I want to make sure they're tasty dishes and that they are primarily plant-based, as you're investing your time to make these dishes. I'd feel terrible if I made you waste 30-60 minutes of your time only to make a dish that didn't make you say "Yum!" But I have sure confidence in this Vegan Greek Rice.
I'm slowly introducing more brown rice into my diet and I'm 'trying' to avoid white carbohydrates but when you see my next recipe this week (Mac and Dill Cheese Pasta for One), you'll notice I didn't try too hard - haha! But I'm getting there! Baby steps... This Vegan Greek Rice is perfect for the transition to brown rice because the grains are cooked in a delicious vegetable broth with garlic powder, peas, carrots, lemon juice, salt, olive oil and I've topped it off with dill! It's such a simple recipe that is quick to make and pairs so well with my Vegan Greek Potatoes (click here for that recipe).
In this recipe, I'm using organic vegetable broth by Pacific Foods and organic extra virgin olive oil by Terra Delyssa. I really enjoy using broths by Pacific Foods because they come in recyclable containers with a resealable cap. They're handy whenever I need some broth. I can reseal it and store it back in my fridge without contaminating the whole container. Not to mention, they are delicious and organic. You can source their products at most Canadian grocers like Sobeys or Loblaws.
Alright guys, hope you all have a lovely rest of the week and if you do try this recipe, please take a picture of it, tag @christieathome on Instagram and it may be featured! Or if you're not an Instagram-er, please share this recipe with your family or friends.
Disclaimer: I am not sponsored by the companies listed in my blog.
VEGAN GREEK RICE RECIPE
ADAPTED FROM BUTTER WITH A SIDE OF BREAD
SERVES 4-5 AS A MAIN | PREP TIME 10 MINS | COOK TIME 15-17 MINS
- 2.5 cups of organic brown rice
- 3 cups of organic vegetable broth
- 1 cup of frozen peas and carrots
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 4 tbsp of organic extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tsp of salt
- 1/4 tsp of garlic powder (not salt)
- Optional: 3 tsp of fresh dill chopped
Required: Non-stick pot
- In a non-stick pot set on medium-high heat, pour in the olive oil. Add in the brown rice and combine. Fry for 1 minute.
- Pour in the lemon juice, salt, garlic powder, peas and carrots, and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil.
- Once it hits a boil, lower heat to low and simmer with a lid for 15-17 minutes until you reach desired softness. For harder chewy texture, boil for 15 minutes and for a softer texture, boil it for longer. Every now and then, with a large spoon stir the bottom so the rice doesn't brown.
- Remove from heat. Optional: Garnish with chopped dill. Serve and enjoy!