RECIPE | BEEF-LESS SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE (VEGAN)
You're probably thinking, "Okay Christie, how are you really going to make the classic Bolognese pasta beef-less when it's all about the beef?". Simple, mushrooms. Mushrooms have a very meaty taste when you cook them down. So when you finely chop them up, they also resemble ground beef. Of course, it's not going to taste and chew like beef but quite honestly, I prefer this version over the meat based one. I was very happy with the taste and I'll admit I kept going back for more. This beef-less Bolognese is also environmentally friendly as it does not contain beef or meat. Beef is not sustainable. It requires tonnes of water and land to grow a cow. In fact according to a UC Davis study, it takes 441 gallons of water to grow 1 pound of beef! (Source: Explore Beef). That's a lot of water that could be used elsewhere. In addition, cows burp or fart methane gas. 1 molecule of methane gas is equivalent to 23 molecules of carbon dioxide! Carbon dioxide is harmful to our ozone layer and this is the cause for global warming to occur. As people continue to consume beef, we will see the impacts of global warming rise and the impact will become more serious. So please consider that the next time you purchase beef or meat of ruminant animals (pork or lamb). If you really can't do without these meats, at least consider naturally raised humane beef or pork by Aspen Ridge Farms or DuBreton Farms as it's tastier and healthier.
This recipe calls for onions, carrots, celery, cilantro (optional), white button and cremini mushrooms, good quality marinara sauce, and some organic extra virgin olive oil. Oh and the pasta. I'm using Victoria Fine Foods Marinara Sauce, this is so key to making any tomato sauce AMAZING. I swear by it. I'm also cooking with Barilla Pasta, a company I am so happy to feature as they make serious efforts to lower their carbon footprint in their business practices.
Such a quick and delicious recipe, great as leftovers too. It's nutritious, hearty and I hope it keeps you coming back for more too.
Well I hope you guys enjoy this recipe! If you make it, please take a picture of it and tag @christieathome on Instagram and it may be featured. If you're not on Instagram, please share it with your family and friends.
Disclaimer: I am not sponsored by any companies listed in this post.
BEEF-LESS SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE
SERVES 3-4 | PREP TIME 15 MINS | COOK TIME 22-25 MINS
- 250 g of spaghetti
- 3 cups of marinara sauce
- 1 pint of cremini mushrooms finely diced
- 1 pint of white button mushrooms finely diced
- 1 handful of cilantro chopped (optional)
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 stalks of celery finely diced
- 2 carrots, small chopped
- 2 tbsp of organic olive oil
Required: Large Sauce Pot
- Prepare ingredients as listed above. In a large sauce pot set on medium heat, pour in the olive oil. Fry onions until translucent. Raise heat to medium high. Add in the mushrooms and fry until most of the water has evaporated, approximately 7 minutes.
- Next add in carrots, celery, cilantro and fry for 1 minute. Pour in the marinara sauce and stir. Season with salt and pepper. Bring sauce to a boil and then lower heat to a low setting. Simmer uncovered for 15 minutes until sauce has reduced by half.
- Meanwhile, boil your pasta according to packet instructions. After pasta is cooked, strain and rinse pasta with cold water to stop the cooking.
- Once sauce is reduced and pasta is cooked, throw pasta into sauce pot and mix for 30 seconds. Remove off heat and serve. Enjoy!