RECIPE | VEGETABLE QUESADILLA (VEGETARIAN)
As my husband and I are still trying to find ways to incorporate more plant based foods into our diets, I realize how much flavour vegetables have to offer. If you're curious to know why I eat predominantly plant based foods, click here to read why. Sometimes I think fruits and vegetables are more flavourful than meat. In Asia, you'll actually find more vegetable and less meat dishes. In fact, meat is often used to flavour a dish rather be the star of the show. I find in North America, it's become the centre of attention, even though schools are teaching kids that meat should only be 1/4 of your plate according to the new Canada food guide (click here to view it). I'm curious to know how much of Meat and Alternatives sit on your plate and if you want to share, comment in the comments section below but please be friendly as this is a positive space.
As I totally digressed from this Vegetable Quesadilla, find the recipe below. It's filled with mushrooms, avocado, black beans, tomatoes, bell peppers and cheese. It's spiced up with paprika and chili powder. I'm using black beans by Yves Veggie Cuisine owned by Hains Celestial. Their tin cans are BPA-free and Yves Veggie Cuisine primarily produces vegetarian meats using other ingredients as the base like soy. They're an organic and natural food company that cares about the environment by ensuring their business & manufacturing practices are environmentally sound. For more information on them, click here.
This Quesadilla is not hard to make but you may need to practice flipping the tortilla which I have an easy trick for (read below).
Well I hope you guys enjoy this recipe! If you make it, please take a picture of it and tag @christieathome on Instagram and it may be featured. If you're not on Instagram, please share it with your family and friends.
Disclaimer: I am not sponsored by any companies listed in this post.
YIELDS 2 QUESADILLA ROUNDS | PREP TIME 20 MINS | COOK TIME 30-45 MINS
- 1 PINT OF CREMINI MUSHROOMS, SLICED
- 2 CUPS OF SHREDDED MOZZARELLA CHEESE
- 1/2 CUP OF BLACK BEANS
- 1 VINE TOMATO, DICED
- 2 BELL PEPPERS, SMALL DICED
- 4 TORTILLA WRAPS
- 2 AVOCADOS DICED
- 1/2 TSP OF PAPRIKA POWDER
- 1/4 TSP OF CHILI POWDER
- SALT AND PEPPER TO TASTE
- EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL FOR FRYING
TOOLS: FRYING PAN, SPATULA, AND A ROUND PLATE
- Prepare your ingredients as listed above.
- In a large round frying pan set on medium heat, pour 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil. Begin frying your sliced mushrooms until golden brown then add in the black beans. Toss gently for a couple minutes.
- Next add in the diced peppers and fry until soft, approximately 5 minutes. Then throw in your diced tomatoes. Season all your vegetables with the paprika, chili powder and salt and pepper to taste. Mix until vegetables are evenly seasoned. Transfer them aside on a separate plate.
- Clean off the frying pan and set it back on the stove top on low - medium heat. Pour 1 tbsp of olive oil and lay the tortilla wrap on top to absorb the oil using your spatula to spin it around a few times - this allows the tortilla to brown up evenly.
- Next evenly sprinkle about 1/2 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese onto the middle of the tortilla leaving a 1-inch thick border to allow for spill over. Pour half of the vegetable mixture and spread it evenly across the cheese. Layer with some diced avocados and evenly sprinkle with 1/2 cup of cheese. Top off the quesadilla with the other tortilla wrap. Press down with the spatula.
- Now time to flip the quesadilla. Using a plate, cover the frying pan or quesadilla. Using your other hand, hold the plate down and with your dominant hand, flip the pan completely over. The quesadilla will drop onto the plate and now you can slide it back onto the hot pan to fry the other side. It may be helpful to use oven mitts to protect your hands from the heat.
- Repeat these steps with the remaining ingredients.
Serve with salsa and enjoy!