RECIPE | WARM TOMATO PEPPER QUINOA
If you asked me a year ago if I liked quinoa, the answer would have been no. I prefer warm meals so when I noticed that a lot of quinoa dishes were cold, I immediately avoided it. It's something to do with their cold and crunchy texture that just didn't sit well with my mouth. So I tried cooking quinoa as a warm dish by adding some mushroom broth, bell peppers, cherry tomatoes with some onions and a few other ingredients. I was happy with the end result and thought it would be useful to share this recipe with people who want to try quinoa out for the health benefits but want to enjoy eating it (who doesn't?) If you're interested in the health benefits of this super grain, check them out below:
I'm also using an Organic Mushroom Broth by Pacific Foods in this recipe and it gives the dish a deep delicious flavour. Pacific Foods is an organic food company that I purchase a lot of my broths from and they make sustainability and animal welfare a priority in their practices. For more information on their products, click here.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF QUINOA
- Quinoa is high in protein as it contains all 9 essential amino acids.
- Contains twice as much fibre as other grains helping to relieve constipation.
- It is Iron rich which assists in building healthy blood cells.
- It has Lysine that helps with tissue growth and repair.
- It is full of Magnesium and this helps cure migraines. It also lowers Type 2 Diabetes because Magnesium is great a controlling our blood sugar levels.
- Contains high amounts of Riboflavin (B2). "B2 improves energy metabolism within brain and muscle cells and is known to help create proper energy production in cells."
- Possesses large amounts of Manganese which is an antioxidant fighting against free radicals.
Sourced from Mind Body Green.
Well I hope you guys enjoy this recipe! If you make it, please take a picture of it and tag @christieathome on Instagram and it may be featured. If you're not on Instagram, please share it with your family and friends.
Disclaimer: I am not sponsored by any companies listed in this post.
WARM TOMATO PEPPER QUINOA
SERVES 3-4 | PREP TIME 15 MINS | COOK TIME 25 MINS
- 1/2 PINT OF CHERRY TOMATOES, SLICED IN HALF
- 1 MEDIUM RED BELL PEPPER, DICED
- 1 MEDIUM ORANGE BELL PEPPER, DICED
- 1 WHITE ONION, DICED
- 1 CUP OF FROZEN PEAS AND CARROTS, THAWED
- 1 CUP OF QUINOA
- 1/3 CUP OF MUSHROOM BROTH
- 1.5 TBSP OF TOMATO PASTE
- 1/2 TSP OF PAPRIKA POWDER
- 1/4 TSP OF ONION SALT
- 1/4 TSP OF GARLIC POWDER
- 1 TBSP OF AVOCADO OIL
- SALT TO TASTE
- Boil the quinoa according to package instructions and liquids have evaporated. In the meantime, prepare ingredients as listed above.
- After quinoa is cooked, transfer it aside. In a non-stick deep pot set on medium high heat, add the avocado oil.
- Begin frying the diced onions for 2 minutes until fragrant and translucent. Then add the diced bell peppers and fry for another 2 minutes until soft. Next add the cherry tomatoes, peas and carrots, frying for another 2-3 minutes.
- SprinkLe in the spices and mix until vegetables are evenly coated. Season with some salt.
- Now pour in the mushroom broth, followed by the tomato paste. Mix everything together until well combined. Cook for 1-2 minutes until half of the broth has evaporated.
- Lastly add in the cooked quinoa and mix altogether. Now your dish is ready to serve.