RECIPE | ZUCCHINI FRITTERS (VEGETARIAN)
I seem to be in a fritter mode this week from my Butternut Squash Fritters (click here for recipe) to these Zucchini based ones. Zucchini Fritters serve well as an appetizer or as a side dish. The ingredients are few but the results are tasty! They're crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. You'll want to consume these within a day, as the moisture tends to make them go soggy the next day.
In this recipe, I'm using Avocado Oil instead of Vegetable Oil. Vegetable Oil is sometimes another term for Palm Oil. Palm Oil is very harmful to the planet specifically the Indonesian rain forests. Palm Oil trees are burned down killing families of orangutans or leaving many homeless only to acquire this oil. Burning down the trees is like setting off a carbon bomb releasing into the air all the carbon dioxide they have absorbed over hundreds of years. So when you buy Vegetable Oil, please do your research to check if it's derived from Palm Oil or actual vegetables. A greener alternative is Avocado Oil. I usually purchase my avocado oil from Chosen Foods as they are non-GMO. Click here for more information on them. In addition, the eggs in this recipe are free-range organic and are by Burnbrae Farms. Click here for more information on their farming practices. You can find their eggs at most major Canadian retailers like Loblaws or Sobeys.
You'll also be glad to know that Zucchini's have several health benefits and I've listed them here:
- Contains Vitamin C which protects your body against cancer causing cells.
- Helps your body break down cholesterol.
- Improves eye health because it contains Lutein and Zeaxanthin
- Contains Manganese which defends tissues from cancer causing cells and helps your body produce more collagen
Facts sourced from Live Strong.
Well I hope you guys enjoy this recipe! If you make it, please take a picture of it and tag @christieathome on Instagram and it may be featured. If you're not on Instagram, please share it with your family and friends.
Disclaimer: I am not sponsored by any companies listed in this post.
ZUCCHINI FRITTERS RECIPE
YIELDS 12-13 PIECES | PREP TIME 40 MINS | COOK TIME 20 MINS
- 3 Zucchinis, grated with skin on
- 2 Eggs (Opt for free-run organic eggs)
- 3/4 cups of All Purpose Flour
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp of Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- Avocado Oil for Frying
Required: Box Grater
- Chop the ends of your zucchinis and begin grating them using a box grater. Place your grated zucchini in a clean tea towel and squeeze out all the excess moisture until the zucchini is dry. If you don't own any tea towels, place the zucchini in a colander and push down on the zucchini until all the water comes out.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the grated zucchini, two eggs, flour, salt, garlic powder and minced garlic. Combine well until the consistency is thick and does not run. You may need to add more flour depending on how wet the zucchini is.
- Heat your frying pan on medium heat and add 1 tbsp of avocado oil. Spoon about 2 tbsp of the mixture onto the pan to form a pancake. Fry on each side until golden brown for about 1.5 to 2 minutes. Depending on the size of your pan, you can fry 3-4 fritters at the same time.